The secrets behind Crème de La Mer
As the groundbreaking skin-care brand turned 50, we reveal the secrets behind the delicate science of Crème’s enduring appeal.
1. Driven to find a treatment for his own burn scars, it took aerospace physicist Dr. Max Huber 12 years and 6,000 experiments with ingredients and time-intensive bio-fermentation to develop the formula for Crème de la Mer. Today, the rarefied mixture has never been more popular.
2. Each jar of Crème de la Mer is hand-filled within eight hours of the formula’s completion, with the room’s temperature tightly controlled.
3. When La Mer’s sea kelp is harvested in the spring and fall, it’s shipped directly to the lab on ice. Because only the top fronds are used, the plant remains unharmed.
4. To speed up the fermentation process, the Miracle Broth is exposed to pulsating sound waves and light energy from specialized equipment, which intensifies potency. To maintain the integrity of every batch, a small portion of Broth from the previous is added to the next.
5. Known officially as the Miracle Broth, La Mer’s secret sauce is a powerful blend of sea kelp, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, lecithin and vitamins C, E and B12, along with oils of citrus, eucalyptus, wheat germ, alfalfa and sunflower. Fresh limes are hand peeled to maximize the living benefits of the rind, then added as Lime Tea Extract.
Recently, the luxe sea-kelp-based skin-care brand has opened its first spa in the U.S. at the Baccarat Hotel & Residences in Midtown Manhattan. Opulent services—like a bespoke, 90-minute La Mer Baccarat Facial, with a diamond-powder exfoliation and warming facial massage using Baccarat stones—harness the healing energies of the sea to help guests relax.